Sunday, May 3, 2009

Why is it week 8 already!?!?!

Yaho!

Time never flew this fast last semester! Ultimate gheyness ftw!
I think I failed Physiology... The mid-semester exams were just depressing. But the labs have been pretty fun in the recent weeks. In week 7 it was cutting up a sheeps heart and using palpation and auscultation method to determine diastolic and systolic pressures of the heart. In week 6 I got to cut open an anaesthetised toad. I named her Sally (it probably was a male toad since there weren't any eggs but I was in a Sally-dissecting mood). First thing I took out of Sally's tiny incision were his lungs. They look really nice under the microscope. One could see blood flowing through maze of capillaries shimmering from the light of the Nikon microscope. We were supposed to be "ethical" when handling Sally so we weren't allowed to take pictures. I had to stick Sally's lungs back through the small hole and then locate and pull out his bladder. It was pretty full, good thing I didn't pop it otherwise I'd have toad pee all over. It was surprising resilient to my enthusiastic handling. I'm usually a lot more delicate but I was having a ball of a time with Sally since no one else on my bench dared to cut open a living toad. (I was probably having way too much fun than a "normal" person would!) The transparent sac of the bladder had sprial vessels but Sally's was so full they were stretched out so they didn't look as pretty under the microscope. After viewing it and making sure he was still moist with the anaesthetic, i had to tuck Sally's bladder back in but much to my dismay, Sally's bladder seemed to have developed a liking for the outside world and would ever so often pop back out when I was fiddling around looking for the mesentry in the small intestine. The blood vessels were pretty big and we managed to see some leucocytes rolling around in the blood vessels. Sally was a wonderful toad that didn't smell at all, unlike Bob that had an odour pungent enough to penetrate my Bvlgari Aqua Marine barrier! The prac was coming close to the end. We had to notice was the effects of adrenaline application and haemorrhage via severing the femoral artery. I must say, Sally wasn't very good at bleeding at all! But we did get to notice the haemodilution. The last thing we had to do before the end of the practical was to sever Sally's heart. No one else at my bench really wanted to do it but I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to remove Sally's still beating heart from his body. I didn't do a very good job though, I cut too low, severing the aorta instead so blood just squirted on the bench. Good thing it didn't get into anyone's eye though! It was still beating even after it was removed. I held Sally's tiny heart in my hand. It was such an interesting feeling. That practical was probably the best practical so far!

Well, week 8 is about to start, the weather is getting colder so I get to dress up a bit more :D I'll put up some recent pictures in a while if I can remember to get it done! (Added below!)

semi-taitai gaze
Close upThe infamous duck-pout. As you can probably tell, I don't do this in public.

Lurbs yew long time,
Jo(n)
(Sorry my train of thoughts are quite broken up at the moment so my post might not be as logical as I'd have liked it to be.)

5 comments:

Shiuji said...

Finally see our cut Jon's new photo...

Miss your face so much... even more cute then the last time I see u...

good good

~eRiC~ said...

Hey, it's been ages we've not chatted jon... wait till exams are settled first.. XD

m a r v z said...

Jon,

Typical asian ~

Stop complaining about your Cane Toads trying to escape with their intestines perforated -

... And if you think this 'obaka gorilla' would come and save you during this time of distress, think again.

Every man for himself :)

BTW > did you end up going to the Medical Students Revue ?

Your Obaka Gorilla,
- M

Ad Infinitum said...

Thanks Sukebe! Hope all is well with you! Hope it's good with you too Eric!

Obaka Gorilla, I'm not complaining about Sally, that's the best experiment ever! But yea, I wouldn't want a cane toad with it's intestines dangling out jumping onto my face. That would be horrific! And no, I didn't go for Med Revue. It's on this week though.

Anonymous said...

seems like FUN wat u did der ^^

how many times do you get to feel a heart beating in the palms of yur hand? (:

sadly yes, its gettn terribly cold, wear more ^^